The Samaritan Report

A Newsletter for Those Who Actually Give a Damn; As Chomsky Said: “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” Keep THAT In Mind.

Chris Muir's Day By Day



Thursday, February 21, 2008

Resolved?

Well, tonight's CSAmerica Emory debate topic was "RESOLVED: THE UNITED STATES TAKE DRASTIC ACTION TO COMBAT CLIMATE CHANGE."

Of course, the idea was to discuss U.S. policy, not the validy of climate change itself. One pro speaker envisioned outsourcing our pollution to China. I dig that, I'm down with that. And the next con speaker emphasized the "drastic" portion of the resolved.

But I feel differently, I say "combat" is the keyword. Why? Well, I don't mind some kind of combating climate change - LA did that in the 70s and 80s to the extent that by the time I was born, there was no red haze downtown for me to stare at regularly. But I wouldn't go so far as climate change in the classroom, in the thermostat, and in the tax law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home